Monday, April 8, 2013

Fear

Hi!  Leafa here with a post on Fear!

Fear sounds like a bad thing.  And it is.  It can paralyze you, muddle you, make you shy away from something that must be done.  But if you master it you will have accomplished something great indeed. 

Quotes on fear--

"Fear stifles our thinking and actions.  It creates indecisiveness that results in stagnation.  I have known people who procrastinate indefinitely rather than risk failure.  Lost opportunity causes erosion of confidence, and the downward spiral begins." ~Charles Stanley

That's the bad results of fear in a nutshell.

"A person's fears are lighter when the danger is at hand." ~Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"Fear is static that prevents me from hearing myself." ~Samuel Butler

"The fear of becoming a 'has-been' keeps some people from becoming anything." ~Eric Hoffer

"Courage is on the other end of the bone of fear." ~Kathryn Lasky

That's true.  Without fear, courage could not exist; for what would we have to be courageous about? What tangles of fear could we brave?  None.  Fear strengthens character, and it has a little purpose--some things weren't made to be meddled with, and fear will keep you away from them--but too much of it can be a very bad thing.  It will muddle your thoughts and make you stand still, trying to consider through a fog of anxiety, like Charles Stanley said.  A little of it can make you see sense instead of blind courage or determination.

Sometimes, when I can't fall asleep, I'm afraid I won't fall asleep again.  Also, when I'm alone, I become afraid sometimes.  That is irrational fear; I mean, you're bound to fall asleep again sometime, right?  And when I'm alone, it's just my imagination I fear.  And that's nothing to be scared of.  I can straightway imagine a purring cat winding herself around my shoulders and a sleek, small border collie laying on my lap.  Would I be scared of that? Of course not!  Often it's just your imagination that terrifies you.  When that happens, well, read, or do schoolwork; or, talk to someone.  No, I'm not telling you to get psychological help xD You can talk to them about anything, and only if you want, what you're afraid of.

 But if you feel rational fear. . .Distract yourself.  Take hold of the situation.  Or, if someone's already done that, offer to help.  Doing things will get your mind off of what's happening.  But if it's something you can't control, like you're afraid of a thunderstorm or a far-off war, distract yourself by doing service such as doing chores others would've normally done, taking food to others, or just cheering them up.  Or you can just do things that doesn't even help someone: garden, do schoolwork, read, play a game, and if you play music, play your instrument.  And if you're really afraid, just face your fears, explain it to yourself in your mind, and understand why exactly you're afraid and how you can help.

Hope you profited from this! :D:D




 

 

1 comment:

  1. Nice! :D
    But fear is not a bad thing.Without fear, people would do silly things with sillier results. Fear is a natural inbuilt instinct to stop people doing dangerous stuff.
    But irrational fear is a bad thing. I have an irrational mushroom phobia >.< Of course, that's part of the inbuilt instinct thing, but screaming when you see a mushroom on the path is a bit over the top XD and I know it.

    ReplyDelete